Safelink BYOP is a program that allows you to bring your own phone when you qualify for free government phone service. Safelink Wireless bring your own Smartphone program allows you to get free cell phone service. However, the best thing is you can keep your old friend! Your old phone is a familiar friend. You know where everything is and of course, you have already invested your hard earned money in it. Whenever you switched to a new phone provider that phone might not have been compatible and now you have a drawer filled with phones you can’t use. Let’s see how the BYOP program works.
Safelink BYOP Program – How to Sign Up
How do I know if I am Eligible?
You may be able to determine if you are eligible for the free phone program, by entering your social security number into the provider’s database. It that is not possible you can submit proof of eligibility directly to the phone company. You may qualify when your income is at or below Federal Government Poverty Guidelines. (check here). You may also qualify when you receive government assistance such agencies as:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- Supplemental Security Income
- Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
- Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit
Also these Tribal programs:
- Tribal Head Start
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance (BIA)
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (Tribal TANF)
Will I need to buy a New SIM Card for My Cell Phone?
No, there will be no need to purchase a new SIM care when you have a phone that is compatible with Safelike Wireless’ network. You can keep your present Smartphone and receive free minutes and Lifeline services like the Internet. Your free SIM card will be sent to you in the mail.
How Do I Install My SafeLink SIM Card?
- Turn off the phone
- Removable cover from the back of the phone
- There will be a space on the top or the bottom of the phone
- Remove the battery to locate the SIM card
- You may access the SIM card from the side of your phone
- Remove the old card, slide in the new card with the yellow or gold part facing down
If your Cell Phone Does not Have a Removable Back
- Turn off the phone
- Look on the side of the phone for a small pinhole (usually in iPhones)
- Use a toothpick or opened paper clip to push the button in the SIM will pop out
- Remove the SIM card and replace the new on gold or yellow side face down
- Gently push until you cannot push any further. Remember gently!
Can I Keep My Old Cell Phone Number When I Switch to Safelink BYOP Program?
Yes, you can! When you have been approved for service and have received your SIM card in the mail, call the customer service number at 1-800-378-1684, to let them know you would like to transfer your existing number. They will handle all that for you. Request your SIM card here.
Make Sure Your Phone Is Unlocked
You will be unable to port your services over if your phone is locked. Don’t remember who your carrier is? Turn off your cell phone. When you restart it, the name of your company should pop up on the screen. However, if you still can not find the carrier, contact your previous provider and request they unlock your phone so you can transfer your services. Check phone compatibility here.
What You Receive In The SIM Kit
You should receive 6 different sims, 2 Verizon 2 ATT, and 2 T-mobile. If you have a problem, contact customer services or the location where you purchased your kit. You can also purchase a kit directly from a Tracfone dealer. (Please check with Safelink Wireless to see if there have been changes to the program and the phones that are compatible with the BYOP program.)
Safelink Wireless Corporate
9700 N.W. 112Th Avenue
Miami FL 33178.