Find out how to qualify for a free government phone – We will show you how to locate and apply with cell phone providers in your states. No contracts, credit checks, and no money down. We will show you who qualifies for a free government cell phone, how to replace a lost phone, and more.
Some call them Obamaphones, but that is a misnomer. The program started during the administration of George W. Bush. Nevertheless, the program is still going strong, and you can get a phone if you qualify financially.
You may be surprised that you may qualify for a free cell phone, even if you work. The program helps the elderly, unemployed, veterans, and disabled with low-cost or free phone service.
Find out how to get free government phone service for life. The Lifeline Assistance Program has companies in every U.S. state. The Lifeline program works with the government, and wireless companies, to provide free cell phones and services to low-income families.
What Benefits Do I Receive with a Free Government Phone?
Each person that qualifies receives a free cell phone, a free Smartphone, free talk, text, Data, Wifi, and free minutes. Benefits vary from state to state. So, look for a phone provider with the best benefits and a record of good customer service.
The funding for the program comes from the Universal Service Fund fee charged on cell phones. You may qualify if you are receiving government assistance or participating in any government poverty program.
This is How to Get A Free Government Phone
- Locate a government phone provider in your state
- Fill out an application online or by mail.
- Provide proof of identity.
- Submit proof of income, or
- Provide a letter from a government agency, or
- Payroll stubs
- Wait to be approved
- Receive your free cell phone
If you qualify financially, you will find it pretty easy to apply. You must prove you are eligible when applying for a free phone. Each application must be submitted with proof you are financially eligible.
You must submit payroll stubs, W-2 forms, or a letter from the government agency helping you. There may be slight variations depending on which state you live in.
These rules have been put in place to help stop fraud and abuse that has been associated with the program. Your income must be 135% or less of the federal poverty guidelines requirements to get a free phone. The size of your household and state also measures eligibility.
The program also required that you show proof of income or identity documentation indicating you receive help from a government assistance agency.
You qualify financially when you receive:
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.
Who Are the Best Free Cell Phone Providers?
Click on the list of free cell phone providers below. There you will find many great phone companies with great service. Major companies like
There are also dozens of regional and national providers across the U.S., Indian Lands, and Territories. Find a cell phone provider in your state here. Go to the website to fill out an application.
Steps to Getting A Free Cell Phone
- Check if you qualify. You may qualify for a free phone if your income qualifies; even if you work, you may qualify.
- Find a Provider There are providers all across the US and US Territories. Find one that has the best benefits to meet your needs.
- Please fill out an application. Once you find a provider go to their site and apply online.
- Submit documentation
- You will be notified when you are approved.
- Wait for your phone
What If I Don’t Qualify for a Government Phone?
If you don’t qualify for a free cell phone, there are many prepaid phone providers. Also, Lifeline cell phone providers offer affordable, low-cost phone plans. With prepaid phone plans,
- You will only pay for the minutes you use.
- No hidden fees or unexpected overages
- There are dozens of prepaid companies from which to choose.
- Airtime cards are available at department stores, drug stores, and grocery store.
What are some of the Prepaid Cell Phone Companies?
- Consumer Cellular– Plans start at $10 a month.
- Straight Talk – 1,000 Talk and text $30 a month, the internet
- TMobile – Pay as you go, in advance, and by the day plans
- Tracfone – Cards from $10.00 and up and bonus minutes available
- Virgin Mobile – Unlimited talk and text $35
You or someone you know may qualify for a government phone. Ask us how to apply and qualify today!
You May Also Want to Read
Free Laptops for Students. Elementary and High School students need access to technology like laptops to complete and participate in school work assignments. The importance of technology,...
How to Get a Free Laptop for College? Starting college is an exciting time filled with new experiences and challenges. One tool that can make your academic journey smoother is a laptop. It's...