Free Government Phones – Washington DC

Free government phones are available for residents of Washington, DC, who qualify financially.  If you are unemployed, receiving government assistance, or are low-income, you can apply for a Lifeline credit.  Washington is where our President lives, and our lawmakers work every day.

Those who run this country flourish, while you will find communities filled with crime and poverty only a few blocks from the White House.  Banks got bailouts, mortgage companies got a pass, and car manufacturers got help during our most recent recession.  The poor, sadly, continue to struggle and make it the best way they can.

The Economy Makes Free Government Phones

Millions of Americans work one or two jobs and still need assistance to feed their families. Washington is very progressive, but like many major cities, it is costly to live in.  Multiple areas once flourished because of high-paying factory jobs.

These same workers are now struggling to maintain their middle-class status.  Over 5.1 million manufacturing jobs have been lost to China in the past ten years, never to return. Free government phones help the poorest of the poor with reliable phone services.

The good news is, that there is little help for the disadvantaged people of DC.  The Lifeline program is working to ensure that every resident, who needs and wants a free phone, can get one.  The Lifeline program and the Federal Communications Commission ( FCC) provide government-subsidized cellular phone and landline service to low-income residents.   You may qualify for free government phone in Washington DC, even if you are working (check Federal Poverty Guidelines)

Eligibility for a Free Government Phones Washington DC

You may be eligible to receive a free government phone if you receive help from a government assistance program or are working and meet the financial requirements according to the Federal Poverty Guidelines.  When you apply, be prepared to provide proof of the agency you are enrolled in.  You are eligible to receive this free service if you receive any of these government benefits below.

  •  Work First
  •  Medicaid,
  •  Food Stamps  (SNAP)
  •  Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program Work First
  • WIC (Women Infants and Children) SNAPs/Food Stamps
  • Crisis Intervention Program
  • Low-Income Energy Program (LIHEAP)
  • National Free lunch program
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Additional Qualifiers

You are also eligible if you meet the financial requirement of having an income at or under 135% of the US Federal Poverty Guidelines.  To cut down on fraud and waste in the program, those seeking free government phones must provide proof of income, or if you are receiving assistance from a government agency, you must provide proof of enrollment.  This documentation can be faxed or mailed into your application.  You can submit:

  • W-2 forms
  • Three current payroll stubs
  • Spousal support letter
  • Social security benefits statement
  • Pension or social security retirements benefit document.
  • Workers compensation or unemployment benefit statement

Here are the free phone providers that cover Washington DC:

If you believe you qualify for a government phone, go to the website of one of the providers listed above to look at their plans and apply.  You must provide proof of income when submitting your application.  You will receive a cell phone and accessories in 7 to 10 business days if you are eligible.  Monthly minutes are automatically added to your account each month.

UPDATE:  Because of fraud issues, you must provide proof of income or enrollment in an assistance program. To prove eligibility, provide one  of the following documents when applying:

  1. A current Federal Tax Return (W-2 Forms)
  2. A letter from Unemployment/Workman’s Compensation
  3. A payroll statement or current check stubs from your job
  4. A Statement from the following: Department of Social Services or SNAPS, Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Benefits.